How to care for eczema-prone skin
Skincare tips to nourish, soothe and help reduce itching
Did you know that around the world, the number of eczema cases has tripled over the last 30 years*? More and more people are affected, especially in industrialized countries and even more so in cities. Aggravating factors, such as pollution, excessive cleanliness and our increasingly sanitized environments contribute to this increase.
Eczema-prone skin is characterized by excessive dryness and itching. During flare-ups red skin plaques can form and sometimes ooze, causing severe skin discomfort. The intense itching often leads to excessive scratching which increases risk of secondary infection and scarring.
In eczema-prone skin, the natural skin barrier function is compromised. This means that the skin is unable to retain the water it needs for hydration and can’t optimally protect itself from irritants from the external environment.
The skin condition is most common in infants and children, but adults are often impacted too. It can have a profound impact on quality of life, often affecting self-confidence, sleep quality and can cause physical and emotional scarring.
Finding the right skincare routine and products for eczema-prone skin can be overwhelming. We are here to help:
- Use a gentle cleanser like XeraCalm A.D Ultra-Rich Cleansing Bar or Cleansing Oil that is soap- and fragrance-free and respectful of the skin barrier
- Cleanse with your hands, which is gentler than sponges or cloths
- Do not stay in the shower or bath too long (approximately 5 minutes) and opt for lukewarm water
- Avoid potential irritating ingredients in cleansers like harsh soaps, perfumes or alcohol
- Do not rub the skin too hard with the towel when drying
Moisturizing is extremely important in the management of eczema-prone skin to nourish and replenish the skin barrier. Choose a dermatologically approved moisturizer like XeraCalm A.D Lipid-Replenishing Balm and apply using the below method:
- Cleanse your skin before application
- Warm up the balm using your hands
- Pat it gently and massage into your skin using circular motions
- Only a small amount of balm is required, don’t apply excessive amounts
- Use at least twice daily for optimal results
Eau Thermale Avène’s XeraCalm A.D range is dedicated to eczema-prone skin, combining a powerful postbiotic ingredient, I-Modulia®, Cer-Omega and signature Avène Thermal Spring Water to relieve itching in 5 days**, nourish and strengthen the skin barrier, while soothing discomfort.
CARING FOR LESIONS
In the case of skin lesions caused by scratching, apply a product like Cicalfate+ Restorative Protective Cream twice a day to help speed up the repair process and protect from bacterial growth. Only apply this to non-oozing, dry lesions.
SOOTHING THE SKIN
For extra soothing relief add a thermal mist like Avène Thermal Spring Water Spray to your daily routine to soothe itching and discomfort whenever needed.
In severe eczema cases, always consult a dermatologist or healthcare professional for advice.
** Phase IV study on 1,711 patients. 75% of patients using XeraCalm AD alone 1 to 2 times a day for 7 days